Mar 10, 2013

Restoran Cha Cha Pan Mee Original @ Aman Suria PJ

After a Belly Good meal earlier during the day, I wanted to opt for something of less protein and more carbs for dinner, something soupy and hearty perhaps.

Yet again, I went to my favorite companion, 'Google' for advise. I swear it brings out the geekiness in me and beyond doubt I'm turning into a social media junkie.

In the end, I contemplated between Super Kitchen Chilli Pan Mee or the conventional JoJo's, which will never go wrong or perhaps some place new. I opted for the latter.

Restoran Cha Cha Pan Mee Original

Founded in 1960, Cha Cha Pan mee is one of the oldest establishment in the vicinity of Aman Suria. Throughout the years, the restaurant underwent a couple of major refurbishments with the most recent one post 2010. It used to be a corner, two shoplot restaurant with a yellow rather than red signboard.

For those unfamiliar with the Pan Mee concept, it is a type of Hakka-style noodle, part of the Malaysian Chinese cuisine. Traditionally, the dough is hand-kneaded and torn into smaller pieces of dough. Nowadays, the dough can be kneaded using machine into a variety of shapes, the most common shape being flat strips of noodle.


With red painted walls, chinese tanglong hanging from its ceilling and marbled tables and chairs, it certainly reminded me of some oldtown kopitiam eatery.


Ordering was made easy since every dish had a different number assigned to it.



Since it was already 9pm when I arrived for dinner, it did not take long for my noodles to be served. I could eat a horse.

Cha Cha Pan Mee Original (Pinch noodles). Rm6/small. Rm7/large.


The dish came with generous amount of pinch noodles, dried anchovies, minced pork, mushrooms, fuchok and a couple of pork balls. The pig bones infused soup was clear and flavorful, not too salty nor sweet. That said, I was quite dissapointed with the pinch noodles, it was just too thick and a tad  chewy for my liking.

Chillie Pan Mee (Thick noodles). Rm6.20/small. Rm7.20/large.


At first sight, the noodles looked dry and bland. However, upon mixing it up, it turned into this slightly yellowish color, probably from the chilli flakes and chilli oil at the bottom.


Served with minced pork, anchovies, and topped with a poached egg, the thick noodles was tangy and not too chewy, just the way I like it. However, I must say that this dry version of Cha Cha pan mee was seriously lacking in sweetness that I thoroughly enjoy in the pan mee. The aftertaste of dried chilli seemed to have taken over the most of the flavors of the dish.

Herbal Tea. Rm2.50.


The herbal tea was very refreshing after a chilli infused dose of pan mee.

Overall Rating: 6/10. Did not like the chilli pan mee and the orignal version was just decent. I will not revisit.

FYI, there is 2 Pan mee restaurants in Aman Suria, with the other being Bao Bao Pan Mee located just few blocks away from Cha Cha Pan Mee.

Cha Cha Pan Mee is located at:
D-G-37, Jalan PJU 1/45, Petaling Jaya, Aman Suria, 47301
03-7804 1093 / 016-660 0971
Mon.-Sun. 07:30-16:00 (Breakfast & Lunch)
Mon.-Sun. 17:30-21:00 (Dinner)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger