Sep 20, 2013

Ah Or Pork Noodle @ Sunway Mentari - Worth The Wait?


By now, you'd probably realized that I enjoy my big-Western-eats, but this time round, I'm aiming to go for something a little less subtle - traditional Chinese!

I have to - just have to, tell you about this glorious bowl of pork noodles. I have to!

Ah Or Chu Yuk Fun

I first spotted Ah Or pork noodles while I was going around the area, after my hefty meal at BellyGood, in search of a dessert place. Knowing that my tummy-space is finite, I promise myself to drop by again very soon.

Situated at the edge of Sunway Mentari square, you'd find a simple hawker-like eatery, packed with gleeful customers inside and some sitting on foldable plastic tables outside, with a steady stream of oncoming patrons standing around, waiting to collect their takeaway noodles.


People come here for a specific reason - to satiate their hunger for pork noodles. So, no need for a menu!

The only menu I spotted was the drinks menu, on a tiny white board hung high on the wall. Not meant to be read I suppose, servers are bound to repeat it to ordering customers anyway.

The lady behind the magic!


It was a quick 15-20 minutes interval before my piping hot bowl of pork noodle arrived and obviously drinks came first.


'Salak' with Sour Plum. (Rm3). Lime with Sour Plum. (Rm3).


Unlike many other popular pork noodle joints I've been to, made infamous from the exorbitant long waiting time, I was glad that Ah Or was way more efficient though customers are still aplenty.

The last time I visited Ooi Noodle House in ss15, I waited for a cool 90 minutes and after 2 drinks before my meal arrived. Though it was really good and definitely worthy of trying, the waiting time was just too much for me to handle. 

The other notable pork noodle place I've been to in PJ is Kean Fatt in ss3. Frankly, to this very day, I still don't get the hype on its popularity. My bowl of subpar pork noodle was barely there, very mehh and I had to wait 30 minutes for it. Needless to say, I'm not going back there again.

Now - here comes the moment of glory of the gloriousness!

Small Kueh Tiao Pork Noodles + Extra Egg. (Rm7+Rm1).


Large Bihun Pork Noodles + Extra Egg. (Rm8+Rm1).


Lathered with sinfully sweet pork broth and packed full of minced meat, pork slices, pork lard and pork innards - all made to a glorious perfection. What sweet-sweet surrender.

I'm letting the pictures speak for itself.

 

Floating in the broth is the added poached egg - the size of my palm. One poke is all it needs, releasing a flowing liquid egg custard.


My friends don't even have to ask - crudely dunking the unwanted innards into my bowl. As usual, I will be glutton-enough to take all of it, with no complains of course. Seriously, you guys are missing out big time.


By now, you'd probably ask, how does Ah Or fair against the others?

IMHO, the sweet pork broth at Ah Or far outplayed the rest. It wasn't as salty as the one I had in Ooi's and definitely more flavourful than Kean Fatt. Ooi's version gave me an unquenchable thirst, no joke, I was literally grasping for water for the next few hours - MSG overload they say. Ah Or's version was bona-fide pleasant without being too overwhelming.

The noodles are definitely more springy and chewy compared to the mushy and overcooked ones I had in Kean Fatt. I order kuey tiaw most of the time - it's obvious. 

Overall Rating: 8.5/10. If not the best, it's definitely my preferred pork noodle joint - certainly a gem that I collected along the way.

Apart from Ah Or, the other two pork noodle house that you've just read about, are in fact affiliated with each other - siblings, from what I was told. Perhaps I should reconsider changing the post title to Best Pork Noodle in PJ / KL rather? 

Ah Or is located at:
3, Jln PJS 8/17, Dataran Mentari, 46510 Bandar Sunway, Selangor
Opened Daily 7am to 5pm

5 comments:

  1. *hungryyyyyyyyyyyy*...i san zou lao lao read dis post makes me really feel sooooooo hungry.......definitely gonna try dis.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. please ajak me along when u go! haha =) i honestly don't mind going again. =)

      Delete
  2. OMG SHARON AHHHHHHHHHH :(
    So yummy looking weih. Look at that intestines and the flowy egg... everything. Drools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. yeah! looking at the pics make me hungry also! =)

      Delete
  3. Gosh... these are WAY TOO porky for me >_<"

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger