Aug 7, 2013

Yut Kee @ Dang Wangi KL - The Famous Roast Pork Roll


How long are you willing to wait for a serving of delicious roast pork roll?

Read about my previous visit to Yut Kee Here.

Yut Kee

We arrived at Yut Kee at mid-noon amidst the frenzy of Friday lunch crowd.

I was told way before hand to be prepared to wait - even under scorching heat, for many would make a special trip over - just like me, to feast on their roast pork roll that is only served on Fridays and weekends.


While we waited impatiently for a table - on a growling tummy that is, I noticed a plastic table setup outside the restaurant with chunky rolls of roast pork on it, ready to be sliced and served. This is what I call a successful 'open kitchen' concept - kopitiam style.


There's always someone peeping at other people's food, huddling beneath the big green umbrella or gazing longingly from the side of the walk way - all waiting for a dose of what Yut Kee has to offer.

We waited for a good 30 minutes before we were seated.


Special Roast Pork. Rm17.50.


At hindsight, my generous dish of roast pork looked absolutely scrumptious - I couldn't wait to dig in. The pork was juicy, tender and with just the right amount of layered fat. I craved for the charred salty bits at the side - those are my favourites and the crispy skin - that I love too, it crackles like crackers.


Our roast pork came with a huge bowl of gravy to share. I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of this version, I always like mine thick and savoury. That said, most Chinese infused gravy are like this - a little more diluted and less salty, just enough to give that hint of a flavour.

Hainanese Pork Chop. Rm10.


Like my previous visit to Yut Kee in which I had the same dish, I have to say - again, that I don't fancy the Chinese version of a Chop. I still prefer thick gravy on crispy skin, personal preference nonetheless - my friends loved it.

Char Siew Fried Rice. Rm5.50.


Traditional toast with Kaya. Rm3.50


French Toast with Kaya. Rm3.50.


There's this thing about the toast in Yut Kee that everyone is fond of - simple yet satisfying. The kaya especially - all toasts comes with a spoonful of kaya, it's their specialty and it's really tasty.
Overall Rating: 8/10. The crowd of hungry onlookers kept on coming while we were busy feeding off our plates. After so many years, I still don't quite get the hype about the place - the long wait and the okay only dishes with a few standouts. For one, I did enjoy dining amidst the whole quintessential Kopitiam experience and I love their special roast pork dish - I would only come back for the roast pork and perhaps the French toast, but yeah - definitely for the roast pork.

Yut Kee is located at:
 35, Jalan Dang Wangi, 50100 Kuala Lumpur.
 +60-3-2298 8108
Opens: Daily except Monday, 8am – 5pm
  

11 comments:

  1. I've only been there once and that time I didn't even know they were famous. I just stumbled upon it and decided to enter and eat there because I wanted breakfast and by noontime, I was surprised to see a crowd lining outside waiting to get a seat while I nonchalantly got a place with ease. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah yeah! did you try their roast pork? Coz I reckon the rest are just decent kopitiam food you can get anywhere =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, didn't try the roast pork because I just wanted something light since it was my breakfast. LOL.
      I did see many people order the pork chop more than the roast pork when I was there.

      Delete
    2. I reckon coz the roast pork is only available on certain days =)

      Delete
  3. After visited your blog, I went to this restaurant on the following day. Ya, the pork roll is fantastic.

    Thanks for your recommendation :)

    Already bookmarked your blog and will follow your recommendations for good food from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a die-hard pork-lover and will pay a visit to this restaurant when i return to kl next week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! yes, definitely worth trying out the roast pork! =)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourites! Never fail to visit at least twice or 3 times a month :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger