Jul 10, 2013

Vasco's @ Hilton Hotel KL


Few months ago, I attended Level7even's re-launch party.

Fast forward - about 2 week back, I dropped by Vasco for a marvellous feast of local and international delights. What better way to spend my Sunday afternoons right?


Vasco's

Newly revamped - Vasco's is located on the lobby level of KL Hilton's dining precinct. The formal dining room exudes a certain charm and elegance with a modern touch of chic appearance to boost.


I came with a friend and we took turns going around the buffet spread. While waiting on empty plates, I took snapshots of myself - the vainpot lives long.


Once my friend returned, I immediately bounced off my seat - eager to gorge but wanted to see-first.

One thing I love about eating at buffets is the appearance of vivid and colorful dishes - nicely lay-ed on its own designated counter, like it was ever ready for any photo taking opportunity.

Since the salad bar was right next to my table, I decided to start with that first.

Salad Bar


An array of color-sorted greens with loads of dressings and condiments.

Appetizers and Composed Salad



Smoked duck breast


The good ol' salad bar had some pretty standard cold cuts on it - smoked turkey, cold pasta and pumpkin salad to just name a few. I thought most of the salad was 'healthily fresh' but the smoked duck was fabulous.

Seafood Counter




The seafood counter was not extensive but what did caught my eye was the tub of snails. I hurriedly filled up a platter and head back to my table.

It took me awhile, some hard work and loads of serviettes - to pry and pick the stubborn thing out - out pop a plump and juicy escargot that took me few mouthful to gallop it all up. Fresh or not, I don't know, since I don't have it often enough to be able to tell. The rest of the seafood was mildly decent.
Asian
Honey braised chicken with chilli

Stir fry anchovies with chilli and potato

I took a good look at the local cuisine spread and there were some pretty scrumptious looking dishes on display. Two of my favourite among the lot have to be the honey braised chicken, which was succulently sweet and spicy and the stir fry anchovies and potato dish - equally delectable. To note, any dish with anchovies and potato as combo - I love.

Chinese  


I was pretty disappointed with the array of dim sums there - there wasn't much to pick from at all. I requested for a plate of lo mai kai (glutinous rice) and almost gawked at the content - the glutinous rice was all mushy and there were barely any fillings in it, much worst than the $2.50 ones I get from the morning market. #ahem



The fish on the other hand was sliced and steamed fresh inside the dim sum baskets when ordered. The steaming and moist plate of fish, will then be garnished with bits of ginger and fried onions - it was delightful.

Indian


A chef hard at work -  moulding and tossing a really tasty slice of crispy tandoori cheese naan. #yum

Hot Western


They ran out of mushroom sauce while I waiting in line. The chef quickly ran off to replenish but left the counter unattended. I waited hungrily before he returned and I ordered a serving of roasted chicken with honey lemon marinade and extra roasted potatoes to share. Both was extremely pleasing to the taste buds.

Noodles



We devoured some squid spaghetti with chicken, ham, button mushrooms with cream sauce. Nothing exceptional about it but it was great watching a one-man-show cooking up a storm of noodles.

Hot Western Condiments


There were some pretty cool stuff happening next to the noodles station. I lifted a few of the heavy lids and found most of it being rotisserie condiments - baked potatoes, sautéed vegetables and the lots.

Pasta Condiments


Chilli corn carne

Pizza


Cheese Spread


Breads



On my way back, I picked up a thick slice of what I thought tasted like sour dough loaf - open crumbed yet sticky inside and toasted crisp outside. I also managed to stuff my plate with a few cuts of toasted garlic bread, spread with a good dash of hummus - that, was the bomb.

Japanese




With Asian being Asians, of course Japanese was one of the more popular options there, evident by the crowd and always in need of a refill.



That said, most of all the sushi's and sashimi's I had was - mehhh. It was bland and the rice was on the verge of falling apart. I enjoyed my inari (tofu) sushi and I thought the sashimi was quite fresh nonetheless.

Dessert 



I popped by the dessert counter - twice. One, to tingle my taste buds with a scoop of vanilla ice cream while still devouring the mains and I went back for seconds towards the end of my meal. I had fun nibbling on the apricot clafoutis (sorry no picture) and lemon meringue tarts. I love lemon meringue, where can I get good ones in KL? So hard to find! 


There was also an in-house chocolate fondue. However I did noticed that not many people was dipping-and-dunking when I walked pass a couple of times. The crowd pleaser was definitely the fried ice cream, which I had to wait in line for.




The fried ice cream was heavenly - generously laden with apricot, nuts, raisins and with a dash of strawberry syrup. The crepe on the other hand, was just too crisp and thin - personal preference nonetheless. When I thought nothing can go wrong with peanut butter - the crepe did, ah well.

Buffet rates starts at a steep Rm128++.

Full buffet menu available Here.

Overall Rating: 7/10. For me, the local infused dishes were really good - honey braised chicken and stir fry anchovies with potato. The Indian station served up a pretty good selection of naans and curries as well. Grilled meats - were memorable too. What I thought was lacking a little - the Japanese, Chinese and seafood spreads.

Vasco's is located at:
Lobbel Level, 3, Jalan Stesen Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
+603 2264 2264 or  +603 2264 2266
kuala-lumpur@hilton.com
Buffet: Breakfast (6am-10.30am) Lunch (12pm-2.30pm) Dinner (6pm-10.30pm)

4 comments:

  1. Sharon, the picture looks so nice and mouth watering. Wish I could be there to taste some of the delicious food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, the picture looks so nice and mouth watering. Wish I could be there to taste some of the delicious food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooo ^.^ next time lets go try something else =)

      Delete
  3. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… captains walk condos hilton head

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger