Jul 25, 2013

Kin Kin Pan Mee @ Kampung Baru KL


My colleagues have been pestering me for ages to go to this really awesome chilli pan mee place, somewhere along the hustling streets of KL.

One fine day, I decided to tag along for lunch. Once we parked, I caught a glimpse of an aged old sign board hanging proudly at the store front - Kin Kin. By then, I knew I was in for a treat.

Kin Kin

The original Kin Kin restaurant in Kampung Baru hails as the veteran come Grand-daddy of pan mee - serving notably one the best pan mee in town.
 

I've heard uncountable stories about the place - on the fabulous pan mee and on it's terrible service - I beg to differ on the latter.

Bowls of pan mee with our extra order of meatballs were placed neatly in front of us - all within the span of 10-15 minutes. There were no shouting nor screaming and all patrons ate at peace. I guess customer service really did turnaround didn't it?

As the runners rolled pass, carrying trays of piping hot pan mee, the air was thick with sweet-smelling aroma of food and everything looks unbelievably good.



The bowl of meatballs arrived before our pan mee. We devoured the lots hungrily and nod our heads simultaneously with approval - the pork balls were fabulous.

Finally, the real deal was behold upon us - 6 bowls of fresh off the pot pan mee to be shared amongst the 4 of us. One look at this and I knew that I was going to have the glutton of a time.



One gentle poke and a delightful yellowy blob of egg yolk started oozing out almost immediately. How can you not be tantalized already?


You can't have pan mee at Kin Kin without a generous scoop of these spicy chilli flakes.


One scoop is not enough, you need at least two - mix it all up until it transforms into a beautiful, glimmering brownish tone.  


It's harmonious flavours gives so much satisfaction - fresh hand-pulled chewy noodles, savoury and flavourful minced pork, crispy anchovies and chopped fried onions, perfectly done poached egg sprinkled with a dash of shallots.

The chilli flakes have to be the celebrity of the dish - it adds oomph to a classic bowl of pan mee - the combination so very clever.


Sweet potato leaves soup with bits of broken-up hard boil egg to end a satisfying meal.

Overall Rating: 8/10. Kin Kin is a clear winner in my books. To note, menu is non existent at Kin Kin - one size, one type and one daily brewed drink. Take it or leave it and everyone still stays happy. Our wholesome meal came up to Rm53 (I figured about Rm6/bowl of pan mee) - totally worth the drive and absolutely worth the money.

Kin Kin Pan Mee is located at:
40 Jalan Dewan Sultan Sulaiman, Kampung Baru, 50300 Kuala Lumpur
016-372 8069
Opening Hours: 7am-7pm (Daily)

There's 2 other branches, 1 in Publika Food Court and the other in Pandan Indah.

16 comments:

  1. Kosher or not? :)
    -your lovely colleague

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kin Kin chili pan mee is the Best in KL and Ampang, some even say in Batam as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure whether Kin Kin is the first chili pan mee in Malaysia or not but it is the Best chili pan mee i ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best! okay.
      I guess the same goes for me too. =)

      Delete
  4. I must say your writing here takes the awesomeness of kin kin chilli pan mee to a whole new level.Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh i love chili pan mee, but sadly we can't really find some decent ones in Penang, i'll definitely add lotsa lotsa chilies in my pan mee xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) yeahh so awesome. go ahh if you come over to KL =)

      Delete
  6. malaysian in SingaporeJuly 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM

    I would strongly suggest kin kin to expand their business to Singapore as there is no chili pan mee here yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. good business opportunity for kin kin then =)

      Delete
  7. Aiyooooor I read your blog now drooling edi.
    * wipes off drool on keyboard *
    I want to eat this now!!! Time for a trip to Publika (since nearer lol). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. yaya. I reckon I would get lost if I were to go on my own to Kg Baru! Publika it is =)

      Delete
  8. sik san..the pan mee looks super ho chiak! i dont get nice pan mee here! your blog makes me hungry and homesick nia! haha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. babe - it was delicious! haha. Come back la. then we go scout for good food together!

      Delete

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger