Jul 4, 2013

Big Chomp Burger @ SS15 Subang Jaya

 

The last two years have been the Golden Age of burger joints in the Klang Valley. Having at least one new burger place sprouting up every month.

I was at KGB Bangsar barely a week ago, Burgertory just few weeks back and GBK Setiawalk just slightly over a month long - I reckon we still have a long way to go.

big CHOMP burger

There are many reasons I love gourmet burgers - the price is decent, no need for processed and rubber patties and though not the healthiest food around, it's not junk food. (Did I justify myself right this time?)

Opened merely 2 weeks back, Big Chomp Burger serves a great alternative for those wanting to opt out of lettuce and tomato, instead, uses coleslaw as salad. To top that, most burgers on the menu comes with a massive patty and a juicy blanket of stuffed omelette - how can you not be thrilled to sample?




The small 40 seat burger joint draws inspiration from simplicity and flexibility when it comes to their interior and exterior decorations.






The menu is essentially quite simple - beef, chicken or vegan and they don't serve pork.

Apart from a basket of fries and a selection of cold drinks, there really isn't much sides to choose from. I've been told that they are in the midst of getting a coffee menu up, possibly in a months time.


Let's start with the beef burgers first.

Spice It Up. Rm17.

 

One bite into this and my tongue went numb - yes, it was spicy but not enough to deter me from finishing my burger. The salami and pepperoni added a tasty and salty finishing overall.

Chomp B+. Rm16.

I thought the combination was clever - nice chunky piece of subtly seasoned, grilled beef patty, complimented with a rash of salty bacon and hash brown on a layer of cheese cream.
 
Juicy Lucy. Rm14.


This is actually one of my favourite burgers of the day. It had all the necessary trimmings that a good burger needs - the beef cheese patty was juicy and had the right amount of seasoning and the onions added a tinge of sweetness to the burger. Perhaps I'm still edging towards the conventional, no-fuss, simple patty with onions and salad type of burger.

Eddgra. Rm15.


Eddgra comes with cheese, caramelised onions, Spanish omelette and grilled beef patty.

The Beast. Rm14.


The Beast comes with pickles, cheese, caramelised onions, mustard grilled patty.

Now, moving on to the chicken versions.

Chomp C+. Rm17.


Chomp C+ - cheese cream, chicken bacon, turkey ham, hash brown, deep fried chicken

Now, that's a whole load of stuff happening in there and I reckon it's a handful to digest as well. I had a feeling that this burger needed more sauce just by presentation - true to that, it was lacking in the 'sloppiness' factor that I was hoping for. I was tempted to add some chili sauce to it, seconds after my first mouthful.

Hawaii Style. Rm15.
  


I thought their deep fried chicken cuts came really generous - I have never seen a burger served up to this size before, seriously. The batter delivered a tasty crunch to the fried chicken and well, that's about it - I could barely taste the chicken meat. To note, the size of the chicken appeared to be drastically inconsistent. We ordered the same burger - twice (refer to #pic1 and #pic2).

Peco Chomp. Rm12.

This is the only chicken burger amongst the lots that I have no complain of. The chicken meat was nicely grilled to a charred and smoky flavour, then topped with a slice of perfectly melted cheese. The sweetness of caramelised onions and a nicely folded Spanish omelette added the right amount of kick to the burger - I was decadently spoilt.

 Flossy Chicken. Rm13.


For one - I could barely taste the floss in the stuffed omelette and I found the white buns to be incredibly stale and dry - there was no fluff at all!

Flaming "O". Rm14.


The burger came with pimento cheese - relish made with cheese. Now, that's something different and interesting.

Spicy Bella. Rm16.

Spicy Bella comes with cheese, grilled pineapple, grilled portobello.

Fries.


 

My friends did note that my face is gradually turning into a burger real soon - like I could get any chubbier, really.


Full menu available Here.

Overall Rating: 6/10. My pick would definitely go to Juicy Lucy, Chomp B+ and perhaps Peco Chomp.  Their beef burgers are quite good and no harm trying their chicken versions, however do note that their fried chicken recipe needs tweaking. I thought the white burger buns needed prompt replacement - it gave the burgers an undesired dry and stale overall texture, hence, steer clear of the white burger buns and request for the charcoal ones instead.

Big Chomp Burger is located at:
No.39, Jalan SS15/8A,Subang Jaya, 47500, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Open Daily: 11am-3pm and 5pm-11pm

Being one of the many burger joints in ss15, Big Chomp Burger is situated right next to Asia café and the same row as Starbucks.

2 comments:

  1. ooh banyak calories haha, penang is getting more burger eateries as well and guess what, i am not bother to visit any of them! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha im sure there is better food to eat than burgers in PG right? =)

      Delete

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger