Jun 18, 2013

Toast and Roast @ SS2 PJ - Char Siew? Siew Yuk?


A friend send me a link of Time Out KL's top #100 must visit hotspots in the Klang Valley not long ago - wanting me to scan through the food section in particular.

So on a fine Sunday afternoon, while I was lazily scrolling through its pages, I paused when I noticed that Toast & Roast made part of the list.

Since it's not that far off from home, I decided to get off my lazy bum and head over for late lunch.


Toast and Roast

Unlike the name suggest, Toast and Roast does not serve Toast but plenty of Roast and claim to have one of the best Hakka Noodles in PJ and for its all time favourite - BBQ pork.

We arrived at about 2.30pm, bypassing the breakfast and lunch crowd but was forced to forego the infamous char siew - we've been told that it was long gone already.




Hakka Noodles. Rm5.00 (S) Rm6.00 (L).



First look at the noodles, I thought - this looks a little dry and bland.

First mouthful, I thought again - this is dry and taste, hmm... oklah.

Topped with minced pork, lard and shallots, the egg noodles were springy, slightly savory and tasted quite fine. Halfway through, I realised that the noodles were clumpy at the bottom - it definitely needed an extra drizzle of oil.

Premium Hickory Smoked Whole Leg Chicken. Rm10.90.


When this dish was placed on the table, I thought - did they forget the sauce again?

The chicken meat was cooked tender with the right amount of smoked flavour - as expected. However, like the previous dish, it got a tad too dry halfway through - there were no sauce nor any seasoning on the side or on it. I was practically dunking the entire chicken into chilli sauce at one point.

Siew Yoke. Rm8.00.



At least they got the siew yok right - the meat was perfect with not too much fatty layers and the right amount of crunch to the skin. I liked the bottom bits too - salty and lean.


Sour Plum Lime Juice. Rm2.80.


One of my favourite drinks - sour plum and lime juice was the ultimate thirst quencher and exceptionally good during a hot day.

Side tracked a little, I watched Man of Steel the night before and fell in love with Henry Cavill ❤❤❤ On that note, don't you think that he looks like a much hotter version of Dan Humphrey? So alike - of face and hair.


Overall Rating: 5.5/10. The food's not bad but just needed an extra dribble of seasoning. Although I did missed out on their infamous char siew this time round, I reckon it might take me awhile to drop by again since there was not much in their menu that caught my eye.

Toast and Roast is located at:
20, ss2/72, 47300 Petaling Jaya Selangor
016 6822249
Open Daily 8.30am-4.30pm Closed Tuesday

It took us a couple of unnecessary going-around-the-block and wrong turnings before spotting this place right at the end of ss2/72, where Yamaha music school used to be. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger