Jun 15, 2013

Ramadhan Buffet 2013 @ Concorde Hotel KL



Every year during the fasting months, many makan events will be held at various locations as part of the festive season - be it at hotels, restaurants or one of my all time favourites, the bazaar Ramadhan.

This year's Ramadhan theme for Concorde Hotel showcases 'Warung Nasi Padang Ibunda' - an array of carefully crafted, authentic Padang dishes, using pass-down recipes by reknown Indonesian chef, Dewi Marline and supported by the Indonesian Embassy as well as NGI GoldRich Events.

This food promotion at Concorde Ballroom and Melting Pot Café starts on July 10 to August 7, 2013.


I punctually arrived at the Event at about 6.30pm - way too early in fact, as dinner only starts at 8.00pm. I had great fun exploring the buffet nonetheless - together with a couples of Tastebuddies.

After merely a few sips of my thirst quenching Es Rujak Timun (cucumber juiced infused with lime and chili), it was time to hit the buffet spread - with my camera of course.

In conjunction with the festive theme, the stage was transformed into a Minangkabau (big house) as backdrop.


Padang food originates from West Sumatra, Indonesia and are essentially rich and flavourful; mainly due to two main ingredients being used - coconut milk and spicy chili. Compared with traditional Malay food, the main difference lies in its unique cooking technique.


A booth was setup specificially for the Signature Padang dishes. I bolt straight to to it - extremely eager to sample.






  


Amongst the lot, I enjoyed the Daging Rendang the most - it was delicious. Along with beef as main ingrediant, the use of coconut milk and ground spices made the rendang extremely tender, rich and full of flavours - exactly how I imagined it to be.

Now, those are the Signature Padang dishes, carefully crafted by Chef Dewi. Apart from that, there were also an array of conventional Padang dishes being served - oh I was spoilt for choices.

Rendang Daging


Ayam Nangka


Ayam Goreng Rempah


Daging Dengdeng Baladu


Ikan Pangang Berempah.



Bubur Lambuk

Soto Padang 


I'm not a huge fan of spicy food per se, but my principle is to try everything placed before me. 

The Ayam Daging Berempah was scrumptious. It was crispy and savoury and the meat was cooked just right. One of my all time favourites - Daging Dendeng was exactly like a piece of jerky, it was dry, chewy and a little spicy - I thought it was scrumptious.

I also liked the idea of  having individual stalls, surrounding the buffet spread with food cooked on the spot - fresh from the pot and still pippin hot.

Mee Rebus. 



Roasted Whole Lamb




Eaten with mint sauce, the roast lamb was amazing. It was bursting with flavours and its texture was firm yet juicy - exactly how it's suppose to be. On my first mouthful, I smirked and told the folks at my table - you guys have to try this. I did attempt to go back for seconds but the poor lamb has already been butchered down to its bone; it was selling like hot cakes throughout the night.




Along with Nasi Padang, favourite foods from the local and international fare is also part of the buffet spread. Notably, the salad counter, seafood counter and not forgetting the dessert counter.

The Kerabu and Ulam Counter





The Seafood Counter






 

The Dessert Counter



I didn't do much justice to the dessert spread since most pictures turn out blurry, I decided not to use them. 

Despite that, on the dessert trays, there were some not-so-familiar, traditional Indonesian desserts. Curiosity got the best of me - I had to give it a go, of course.

Godok Batinta


Like the Malay cekodok pisang, this Padang version is coated with palm sugar. Compared to the former, I kind of preferred this more actually. The tinge of crusty sweetness on the outside simply complemented the banana fritters altogether.

(From Left) Cenil, Godok Batinta, Serabi.


Cenil, onde-onde served with coconut milk and palm sugar was like any other. The Serabi on the other hand, pancake made from rice flour with coconut milk was too dry for my liking.
While we munched away delicately, we enjoyed the tunes coming from a band performing table-to-table. Bagema 5 strollers, they call themselves.


It was certainly a pleasant few hours of after work chit chat with the Tastebuddies over authentic Padang dishes.



Overall Rating: 6/10. I didn't eat as much as I thought I would - too much spicy food (spicysharon isn't that spicy afterall). Like all buffets, some dishes went pass the passing mark and some was left way behind.

I have to say that the highlight of my meal would be the roast lamb, daging dengdeng and godok batinta - though these are purely personal preference of course.

If I had to complain about anything it would be the overcooked fish, barely grilled chicken and beef satay, hidden dessert spoons and well, the list could possibly go longer honestly.

July 10 – August 7
Melting Pot Café : RM108.00++ per person

July 16 – August 4
Concorde Ballroom : RM98.00++ per person

RM90.00nett per person (Early bird)

15% discount for Alliance Bank, CIMB, Citibank, Hong Leong, Maybank, Public Bank and RHB cardmembers

Concorde Hotel is located at:
2 Jalan Sultan Ismail, 50250 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Melting Pot Café - 2144 2200 ext 2337
fbkl@concorde.net 

2 comments:

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger