Feb 11, 2013

Duck King @ Jaya One

This is a Chinese New Year special.

Duck King, Jaya One

It was a Chinese New Year Reunion affair when I visited Duck King. Me and my family, we took up the first dinner slot, which normally starts at 5.30pm. The second session is at 8.00pm, pretty standard across all chinese restaurants for CNY reunion sessions I would presume. Too early for dinner many might say, but I was starving from eating only 'yuk gon' the whole day, thus I'm not complaning.

This is our dinner menu for the night. Way overcharged if you ask me.


We started the dinner of with Yee Sang. Huatttt Ah.

Fortune Jelly Fish Yee Sang. 



Braised Shark Fin Soup with Crab Roe.


The shark fins soup was really good. It was stachy yet smooth and they were pretty generous with the shark fin and the crab roe. Though I must say that the portion should definitely be reduced. This came in such a huge bowl that I figured it will be able to feed 25 pax rather than 10 pax. I had 3 bowls and there was still loads of leftovers. 

Stewed Sea Cucumber with Deep Fried Pork Trotter.


The pork was very tender and succulent and the gravy was full of flavors. This was a delectable dish overall. (I figured this is braised pork not deep fried pork like the menu suggest).

Steamed Sea Garoupa with Superior Soy Sauce.


The fish was steamed to perfection and its texture was just right, though I must say that the sauce was not well-absorbed into the meat. It was slightly lacking in taste without huge amount of soy sauce.

Signature Roast Duck.


With this being Duck King's signature dish, I shall give it two thumbs up. The meat was very juicy, flavorful and rich. Though this was suppose to be a savoury dish, there was a tinge of sweetness in it. The skin on the other hand was crispy and surprisingly not fat, just the way I like it. I had a good 7 portion of this I reckon.

Steamed Lotus Rice with Chinese Sausage.

Deep fried Chinese New Year Cakes with Pumpkin.


Chilled sweatened Sea Coral with Lemongrass.


Dessert wise, I would definitely prefer the latter over the former. The deep fried nien-gou was a bit too oily for my liking. However, the chilled sea coral was just nice and soothing after all the savoury dishes.

Overall Rating: 7/10 for the signature roast duck and braised pork. The bill came up to about Rm90 per head, way overpriced for essentially a 6 course dinner, with exclusion of a vegetable and chicken dish in the set menu.

Duck King is located at:
Jaya One 72a Jalan Universiti, 46200 Petaling Jaya 
03-7957 9819

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger