Jan 26, 2013

Moussandra @ KL Plaza

Updated 2013: This place has been relocated to Publika.

Having lived in Australia and being exposed to so much Greek food, it was only fair, that I scout for my share when I got back.

I've always enjoyed Mediterranean food, from the likes of spanish tapas to Italian pastries. Though Greek, have not always been as mainstream as its neighbours.

With the help of Google, I managed to locate one of the oldest yet still standing Greek restaurants in town - Moussandra. It was a Friday night and I decided to slap-on my flats and marched all the way to Farenheit 88 from KLCC. It wasn't that far of a walk so to speak.

Moussandra

Contrary to what has been stated in their website, the restaurant is not located in Fahrenheit 88. Rather, a stones throw away, at BB Plaza.

For those unfamiliar with the area, you might get lost! So what I did was this - I exited the Charles & Keith entrance, made a left, went down a slope, walked pass a parking lot and went up a flight of stairs before I reached the doorstep of this restaurant. Do mind your surroundings whilst scouting, the area wasn't exactly brightly lit - it was already pass 8pm when I got there mind you. Once there, you won't miss the huge neon 'Moussandra' signboard, hung high from the second floor.


Upon entering this quaint little restaurant, I was greeted by a white haired old man, my guess that he's the owner and founder of the place. A few tables was already occupied when I got there and I can say this place comfortably sits 10-12 tables only.

Since the restaurant was dimly-lit I couldnt take many pictures. I found the interior decoration a tad bit bizzare, slightly eerie in fact. There was a wine cellar located at one of the corner and a huge candlestick, which looked like it has been burning for the past decade or so.





Moussandra serves authentic Greek, Spanish and Italian cuisine which specialties includes a wide range of tapas, Paella Valenciana, Moussaka, Souvlaki, Braised Lamb Shank, Tiramisu and Creme Brulee. They also have a list of house wines available.

Moussaka. Rm40.00.

The Moussaka has always been my favorite greek dish. This version is absolutely appetizing. Layered with minced lamb, eggplant, potatoes, bechamal and topped with cheese then baked to perfection. An absolute must try.

Pizza Campestre. +/- Rm25.00.

Setas Salteadas. Sorry no raincheck.

Which is basically sauteed mushrooms with herbs.
Overall Rating: 6.5/10 for the Moussaka and the fact that Greek restaurants are hard to come by. The quaint settings and candle light affair after sunset was a pretty unique sight as well. Downgraded because of the location and affordability factor. Overall, I came for the Moussaka, had my moussaka and will come back for the acclaimed moussaka though and perhaps try out some of their paella and tapas available.

Moussandra is located at:
Sub Lot B-8, Mezzanine Floor, KL Plaza
179, Jalan Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
03-21440775
Open 12pm-3pm and 6pm-10pm (Monday to Saturday only)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Spicy Sharon - A Malaysian Lifestyle And Food Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger